Below is information regarding internal and external hard drive recommendations for producers who want to do multiple, simultaneous ISO recordings.
For owners of our series of Studio HD hardware units:
The HDD or SSD currently installed on your system have the following specs:
- HD31: 2TB WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 7200 RPM / SATA 2.5" Internal HDD
- HD50*: 1 TB / 5400 RPM / SATA 3.5" Internal HDD
- HD51: 1 TB / Western Digital Red 7200 RPM / SATA 2.5" Internal HDD
- HD51 4K Edition: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD
- HD500*: 500 GB/ 5400 RPM / SATA 2.5" Internal HDD
- HD510*: 1 TB / Western Digital Red 7200 RPM / SATA 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
- HD550: 1 TB/ Western Digital Red 7200 RPM/ SATA 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
- HD550 4K Edition: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD
- HD900*: 2 TB / 5400 RPM & 500 GB / 5400 RPM SATA 2.5" Internal HDDs
- HD1700*: 2 TB / 5400 RPM & 500 GB / 5400 RPM SATA 2.5" Internal HDDs
- HD1710*: Dual quick-time front removable (2) x WD Red 1TB / 7200 RM ISO recording drives, mid-plane, access door, receiver mounting kits. 1 internal fix mounted WD Red 1TB / 7200 RM ISO hard drive & 1 internal fix mounted 120GB SSD OS / application drive.
*indicates a discontinued product
Check out the full product technical specifications.
To avoid performance issues, we recommend using an external HDD via USB 3.0 as mentioned below and/or spreading the recording across multiple drives by selecting the Specify Record Location option within the Recording section of the Livestream Studio settings.
What type of hard drive is recommended when recording ISOs?
We recommend recording to a separate HDD, either installed on the desktop system or an external HDD connected via USB 3.0, that adheres to the following specification:
64 MB Cache
Formatted NTFS (Full format)
2TB or larger (for longer broadcasts)
Testing done using other brand hard drives with the recommended specification have resulted in poor performance when recording 3-4 ISO cameras. Recording 2 ISO cameras performed well in these cases.
If a Western Digital Red series drive is not available, using more than one HDD and specifying different record locations may help resolve any performance issues.